This course provides the student with an understanding of advanced baking techniques and the application of pastry components with emphasis on restaurant and banquet desserts.
The student will also be exposed to a variety of decorating concepts and plated presentations that are consistent with today’s market trends.
What Will You Learn?
- Upon successful completion of this course, the student will have reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Demonstrate the preparation of custard fillings, creams, mousses and Bavarian creams.
- Demonstrate the production of various cake batters, involving creaming method, 2 stage method or flour batter method eg. Cheesecake, small pastries, special occasion cakes, petit fours
- 3. Demonstrate various decorating techniques for special occasion cakes, classical cakes and small pastries using icings, frostings and butter cream.
- Describe and demonstrate the production of patellae and decorative applications.
- Describe and demonstrate the production of chocolate including gouache, tempering and decorative motifs
- 6. Read and interpret recipes, and explain and demonstrate several ways of measuring ingredients, using scales and standard measuring instruments, and be able to differentiate between volume and weight measurements.
- Work effectively in groups, including demonstration of effective tasks and maintenance roles and functions contributing to group performance that will meet guest expectations and industry standards.
Chapter 1 Rules, safety, sanitation
Chapter 2 Weights and measures
Chapter 3 Preparation of yeast products, dough’s, cakes, meringues,
Chapter 4 Bavarians and mousses